Friday, October 11, 2013

Snail Mail Collective: September

So once again my September Snail Mail Collective partner Jenna and I are still waiting for each others fun packages from last months SMC, Topic: Back to School. We figured it may take awhile to receive our gifts and so we decided to post anyway and then post later with the pictures once they arrive. I love Snail Mail! :-)

So my partner last month was Jenna over at the blog: http://jennainabudhabi.wordpress.com/ 

I'd post her twitter too but she does not have one....yet. I'm currently pushing her to get one! :-)

I am so glad I got paired with her! We are like two peas in a pod. I remember the first email she sent me where she apologized to me at the end of it for 'writing a book'. I knew then I was going to like her! I can't help but write long emails too! Or long texts. Or anything! We also plan on skyping one day!

She is currently living with her husband and teaching in the incredible United Arab Emirates and I think that is amazing! She is actually trying to help me get a job over there towards the end of next year when I hope to meet up with her! (This would be the 3rd time I'd meet up with someone who I've met on my travels! Or in this case, first for SMC!) 

She has told me stories about her travels, her experiences in Tanzania, and what I can do, travel-wise if and when I make it to the UAE. 

I truly enjoy talking to her, her blog is wonderful (check it out!), and really love how open-minded she is about travel and life. If you ever get the chance to write to her or talk to her, I know you'll love her too!

Here are some questions I asked her throughout our emails and getting to know each other:

When did you start blogging and why?

I started about a year and three months ago to keep my family caught up on our travels. At the end of the day I really do all of my blogging for my mom – I know having the blog reassures her and helps her feel like she knows what’s going on. Calling from here is hard and the time difference and work schedule make skyping a bit hard (we work Sunday – Thursday over here because Friday is an Islamic Holiday).

Where have you been?

Africa: Tanzania
Europe/UK: Paris, Ireland, London, Scotland, Holland
Asia: Nepal and Thailand
Middle East: Qatar and Oman

What is your favorite place to travel to?

I think for my favorite place I have to give two – In terms of a place to go and explore and relax and vacation I’d have to say Thailand. That country is just endless in its possibilities – from jungles to beaches to cities – the people are so friendly and I feel like I could spend my life exploring it. In terms of a place I want to disappear and live forever that would hands down be Amsterdam, Holland. Both my and my husband were like “how were we not born Dutch?!” We love biking, museums, beer cafes, and the slow pace of everything. 

She'd also like to add: Oman and Scotland!

What are 3 items off of your bucket list?

Seeing the northern lights is #1, owning a home in the Adirondacks #2, and go to Argentina to Patagonia and take the trip to Antarctica from there #3.

What are the 3 countries you must go to?

Japan (sushi and Mt Fuji), New Zealand (nature), Germany/Belgium (I just love my beers!)

Where in the world is the best food that you've ever had?

Thailand probably has the best food of any place I've ever traveled. They have this dish (I don’t remember what its called in Thai) but it’s a spicy Papaya Salad and we’d get it from street vendors almost every day – amazing – spicy, sweet, lemony, peanut-y, awesomeness! Middle Eastern food is really delicious too – the hummus here is different and way better than in the states and the Fatoush salad with pomegranate dressing is gorgeous! Plus they know how to cook a mean kebab – yogurt lamb and spicy chicken – YUM! Another favorite dish – and I don’t think it’s actually Dutch – is a dish I had while in Amsterdam was really nice bread with goat cheese, slivered almonds, honey, date syrup, and arugula and for dessert a stroopwafel!

What's your favorite food?

At the moment my goat cheese sandwich! But really probably Buffalo wings (I am after all from Buffalo, New York!)

What do you like to do for fun?

Writing, hiking, photography (not professional or anything I just love taking pics), reading, and canoeing.

What is the most daring thing you have ever done?

I can think of two things – moving here (I still can’t believe we actually did it!) and drinking cows blood in Africa with the Masai tribe – still surprised I didn't get sick!

What's your favorite drink? 

Homemade honey-ginger tea

What's your favorite dessert? 

Carrot Cake!

What's your favorite candy? 

Caramel filled anything!

What's your favorite movie?

Midnight in Paris.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Anything folk or alternative (love Bob Dylan and currently falling in love with Wilco!)

What's your favorite color? 

Orange

Check out Jenna's blog and get to know her too! She is a great friend and I hope to continue staying in touch with her. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment